Halton Borough Council - Building Control

Halton Borough Council

Full Plans Application

Email your electronic application and plans to building.control@halton.gov.uk.  The plans should be drawn to a suitable scale ie: 1:50, and 1:100, contain floor plans, elevations and sections showing all construction detail.  Your plans will normally be checked within 10 working days of a valid submission. If they conform to the relevant regulations then an “Approval” will be issued.  If they show omissions or further information is required then advice will be given.  Further guidance is available in the merseyside guide to extending your home.

Building Notice Application

This type of application is generally aimed at very small domestic building works and projects which do not require consultation with United Utilities regarding public sewers nearby and we also cannot accept a Building Notice for commercial or industrial buildings. No formal approval will be given with these types of application. The total fee is payable upon the submission of the application in full.  Email your electronic application and plans to building.control@halton.gov.uk.


When a full plans application is made there is an initial plan check charge on submission and then when work commences on site we will send you a one off invoice for the total site inspection charge.   Fees can be paid online (please choose other services>planning)



The demolition of any building exceeding 50 cubic metres (1750 cubic feet), roughly the size of a single garage, will require a demolition notice before starting demolition work. You will need to notify us in writing of your intention and not commence demolition until your receive a Demolition Notice in return from us.

Demolition work should not start until:

  • – You have received a Notice from the Local Authority containing conditions which you must follow; or
  • – A period of six weeks has passed since you informed the Local Authority of your intention to commence demolition.
  • – During the demolition process the Building Control Officers will carry out regular inspections to ensure that you comply with all the conditions imposed.  Please remember that the requirements of the Health and Safety Executive must also apply along with the Construction Design and Management Regulations.


Should demolition work commence without informing the Local Authority you will be committing an offence and could be fined up to £2,500. It should also be noted that if demolition work relates to a Listed Building then a Listed Building Consent will also be required.  In these cases a separate notification needs to be given under the planning regulations. If in doubt please contact us.

Other application forms

Dangerous Structure

If you have any doubts as to whether the building you are dealing with is dangerous please contact us immediately on 0303 333 4300 during office hours 8am – 6pm Monday-Friday (except Bank Holidays) and 0333 000 4300 at all other times.

Building Control Contacts

All Building Control Officers are available Mon – Thur 9am – 5pm , Fri 9am – 4.30pm.

Email – building.control@halton.gov.uk or call 0151 511 6565.

If you need to contact officers directly:

  • – Rob Bradshaw, Principal Building Control officer: 0151 511 7538 Mobile 07771 717858
  • – Steven Baskeyfield, Senior Building Control officer: 0151 511 7532 Mobile 07771 717860
  • – Andrew Birchall, Building Control officer: 0151 511 7534 Mobile 07770 855926
  • – Gareth Frost, Building Control officer: 0151 511 7576 Mobile 07880 815423
Halton Borough Council 6 years ago
Showing 1 result