A construction company has been fined after disturbing asbestos and removing it without adequate precautions at a pub in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, reports HSE
Salisbury Magistrates’ Court heard how Robert Angell undertook work to remove asbestos-containing material while renovating the property in September 2018.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company was not licensed to carry out asbestos removal work and failed to take appropriate measures to prevent the spread of the asbestos waste while.
As a consequence, the work undertaken exposed employees and neighbouring areas to risks from asbestos.
Robert Angell was found guilty of breaching Section 16 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, together with section 5 and 8 of the regulations. The company were fined £300.00 and ordered to pay £8,266.40 in costs.
‘HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate action’
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Ian Whittles said: “The dangers associated with asbestos, including licensed asbestos, are well-known and a wealth of advice and guidance is freely available from the HSE website.
“Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”