The winners of the BREEAM Awards 2018, for building projects and professionals with astonishing achievements in sustainability, were revealed at London’s ExCel on 6 March
Attended by hundreds of built environment practitioners from around the world, the awards were hosted by actor and TV personality Robert Llewellyn, a keen advocate of sustainability and renewable energy technologies.
The winners include many of the most innovatively sustainable buildings in the UK, and in countries across the globe from China to Brazil. The awards, held this year in partnership with Ecobuild, also recognise high achievement by architects, M&E consultants and BREEAM assessors – and BREEAM again partnered with GRESB to recognise socially responsible investment. New this year is the Regional Awards for building projects that inspire sustainability advances in their particular areas of the world.
Selected by an independent panel of experts from shortlists of the year’s highest scoring BREEAM certificated projects, the winning buildings represent outstanding design and performance in new and existing buildings, refurbishments and fit-outs. They include:
- Bloomberg London – Commercial Project – Design
- Four Pancras Square, London – Commercial Project – Post-Construction
- Forum Kayseri, Turkey – Commercial Project – In-Use
- Tiger Way Primary School and Nursery, London – Public Project – Design
- GSK Centre for Sustainable Chemistry, Nottingham – Public Project – Post-Construction
- Grønland 58, Drammen, Norway – Public Project – In-Use
- HAUT, Amsterdam – Homes – Design
- 126 Pavilion Road, London – Homes – Post-Construction
- Metropolis Mansion, China – Regional Award – Asia
- SEBRAE Sustainability Centre, Brazil – Regional Award – Americas
- V.Offices, Kraków, AFI Europe Poland– Regional Award – Central and Eastern Europe
- Bloomberg London and DC2, Prologis Park, Dunstable, UK – Joint winner, Regional Award – Western Europe
Alan Yates, BREEAM Technical Director and Chair of the Judging Panel, said: “Even more important than the qualities of the shortlisted and winning projects, are the examples they set for others. By demonstrating the practicalities and benefits of sustainable solutions – particularly those that are widely replicable – these projects will inspire others to aim higher with their own developments, so driving improvement throughout their sectors and regions, and internationally.”
The winners of the GRESB/BREEAM Awards for Responsible Real Estate Investment are:
- Altarea Cogedim – Large Portfolio (more than €1bn gross asset value)
- SPF Joint Venture – Rockspring – Small Portfolio (less than €1bn gross asset value)
- Lizzy Butink, A.S.R. Real Estate – Individual Leadership
The winners of the BREEAM/Ecobuild Champions Awards, new for 2018, are:
- Austin-Smith:Lord – Architects
- Sweco – M&E Consultants
The winners of the BREEAM Assessor Company and the three Assessor of the Year Awards are:
- Bouygues UK – Assessor Company of the Year
- Glynn Van Nieuwenhuyse, Bopro; Zuzana Spicova, Sweco UK,Danielle Symmons, AECOM – Assessors of the Year
Finally, the winner of the YOUR BREEAM Award, decided by popular vote on the BREEAM website is:
- SEBRAE Sustainability Centre, Brazil.
Further information on all of the shortlisted, highly commended and award-winning BREEAM projects and teams is available at www.breeam.com/awards.