Structural warranty provider, Premier Guarantee provides an insight into building control requirements on construction projects
Some building projects are exempt from regulations, however generally if you are planning to carry out building work as defined in regulation 3 of the Building Regulations, then building control will be required.
To help you out we’ve provided a quick reference guide below:
Constructing a new building
- All new buildings require building control.
Exempt: Agricultural buildings
- Garages that are not fully detached and under 30 sqm
Extending or altering an existing building
All extensions regardless of size will require building control approval. Other extension and alterations to the home requiring approval include:
- Basements and basement extensions
- Roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
- Some conservatories and porches (many are exempt but these must be separated from the house by doors and can’t be heated)
- All loft conversions, roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
- All garage conversions
- Barn conversions
- Subdividing a house into flats
- Converting flats back into a house
- Creating a ‘granny annex’
- Creating a new or ensuite bathroom or cloakroom
- Installing a new kitchen
- Taking out a loadbearing wall – you need to ask a structural engineer to confirm that your wall isn’t supporting the walls, floors or roof above it
- Taking out a non-loadbearing wall if it separates a room from your hall, staircase or landing.
Provide services and/or fittings in a building
This includes services and fittings such as:
- New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
- New installation or replacement of an oil tank
- Replacement window and door units
- Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
- Installation of a new bathroom if existing plumbing is altered or if new plumbing is installed
- Installation of additional radiators to some existing heating systems
- Replacement fuse boxes, any new electrical installation connected to the fuse box and alterations to electrical installations in bathrooms around the bath or shower
- Installing roof lights
- Making windows or doors wider or taller
- Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs even if this is just like for like
- Replacing your floor.
Are you ready to begin your building project?
Premier Guarantee is a licensed Approved Inspector able to carry out a wide range of projects.
Visit their building control page to find out more about the services and how they can assist with your project.