Dame Judith Hackitt hosted a meeting of the Chairs of the working groups which were formed following the Independent Review’s interim report publication in December and Summit meeting in January
The working groups were asked to consider how to develop elements of a more effective building regulations and fire safety system, taking forward the directions of travel identified by Dame Judith in her interim report.
There was an overwhelming response for people to be involved. To ensure the groups were able to respond in a timely manner, it was necessary to restrict the size but group chairs were encouraged to consult as widely as possible when developing their advice.
The inputs of the working groups will be made available after the final report.
Dame Judith praised the commitment of the working groups, all of which have met multiple times over a 6-week period and thanked them for the quality of their contributions.
She will now consider their advice as she develops the recommendations of her final report, intended to deliver the systemic overhaul and culture change required of the building regulations and fire safety system to make sure that people are safe, and feel safe, in the homes that they live in.
Dame Judith Hackitt’s final report will be published in the spring.
The working groups included:
- Working Group 1: Construction and Design
- Working Sub-Group 1b: Procurement
- Working Group 2: Occupation and Maintenance
- Working Sub-Group 1 & 2: Golden Thread – This group looked at how to ensure an accurate record of high risk/complex buildings is compiled during the design and construction phase, and then handed to the person responsible for managing the building during occupation.
- Working Group 3: Regulations and Guidance
- Working Group 4: Competence
- Working Group 5: Residents’ Voice
- Working Group 6: Quality Assurance and Products.