Lockdown and a rise in remote working have encouraged debate around the sustainability of the office space as workers start to head back to work
Instant Offices collated research on how the current climate is sparking a change in the way businesses and their workers interact with the environment every day.
Key insights include:
- 57% of Businesses are making changes due to high consumers and competitors demand
- 69% of businesses say they would support their workforce to reduce the impact on the environment
- Dangerous PM2.5 air pollution dropped heavily in some of the world’s most polluted cities
Research by Instant Offices showed air quality dramatically improved in some of the world’s biggest cities just two weeks into lockdown. Dangerous PM2.5 air pollution dropped by 60% in Delhi, 71% in Los Angeles, 34% in London and 56% in Madrid, due to reduced activity.
These stats make a compelling case for businesses to maintain more eco-friendly habits once lockdown is lifted, but there are financial benefits too.
For many companies, the pressure to change is coming from all sides. In Europe, 25% of businesses cite government regulations as their least favourable motivator for becoming more environmentally sustainable – 57% are making changes because consumers and competitors are demanding it.
Working from home
Even before the Covid-19 crisis, experts were predicting that half of the UK workforce would be working remotely by 2020.
Even working from home or co-working space for one or two days a week can help businesses reduce their CO2 emissions and achieve a lower carbon footprint.
Key green habits to adopt in 2020:
- Increase remote working and reduce the need to commute
- Focus on offering virtual consultations and online shopping options to consumers, reducing overall traffic and encouraging social distancing
- Encourage the use of reusable, washable fabric masks in the office, in place of single-use disposable masks
- Look for ways to reduce plastic waste and replace with more sustainable materials
- Invest in low-consumption and water-saving energy solutions to help reduce operational costs