Plumber fined £5,000 after gas explosion

19

A plumbing and heating firm has been fined £5,000 after an employee suffered serious burns following an explosion at a domestic property in Preesall

Blackpool Magistrates’ Court heard how on 13 March 2019, John Leadley Limited had been replacing a gas boiler in the hallway of a bungalow. As part of this work, an employee was soldering new water pipes when there was a sudden explosion, which caused serious burn injuries.

The homeowners were in the property at the time of the explosion and were also put at risk of serious injury.

HSE investigation

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) discovered that a flammable atmosphere had developed within the hallway of the property, which was subsequently ignited by a blow torch.

A gas supply pipe had been cut prior to installation of the new boiler, but the open end of that pipe had not been sealed with an appropriate fitting. It was also identified that the gas supply had not been correctly isolated from the property, allowing gas to pass through the open-ended pipe into the hallway, creating the flammable atmosphere.

The plumbing and heating company, John Leadley Limited, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) and Section 3(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

The company was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,756.35.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Anthony Banks, said: “The injuries sustained to this employee could so easily have been avoided, simply by John Leadley Limited carrying out the correct control measures and safe working practices.

“Employers, and others, should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here