The BCIS Online featured project for June 2018, submitted by The Department of Health & Social Care (DHSC), is the recently completed £17m Children’s, Young People and Perinatal Mothers’ Hub in Nottingham
The mental health care hub offers specialist inpatient care and support for adolescents and perinatal women experiencing acute mental health difficulties that can no longer be managed in the community. It is also the base for the Trust’s Community Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).
The campus-style mental health care hub is arranged over 3Nr detached, irregular shaped on plan buildings, comprising:
- 2 storeys, 2,985m2 adolescent unit with 2Nr enclosed courtyards, providing 32Nr inpatient ensuite beds, which includes a 12Nr bed general adolescent unit, 12Nr bed eating disorders ward and 8Nr bed psychiatric intensive care unit
- 2 storeys, 999m2 8Nr ensuite bed perinatal unit, including consultation rooms, providing support for mothers with serious mental health issues before and after having a baby
- 2 storeys, 1,270m2 education and community centre with an enclosed courtyard, providing classrooms including specialist teaching areas, therapy rooms and clinic.
The combined building cost is £2,683/m2 (3Q 2016). The functional unit rate equates to £352,469 per bed space.
Substructure, at £408/m2 includes:
- RC strip foundations and ground slab.
Superstructure, at £918/m2 includes:
- steel framing
- concrete on metal sheet upper floors
- Kingspan metal clad pitched and flat roofs
- combination of facing brick, rendered block, laminate cladding, aluminium and glazed curtain walling
- metal stud partitions
- timber doors.
Finishes, at £218/m2 include:
- plasterboard, skim, tiled and sheet wall finishes
- carpet and vinyl sheet floor finishes
- plasterboard suspended ceilings.
Fittings and furnishings, at £127/m2 include:
- cupboards, worktops, signs and mirrors.
Services, at £1012/m2 include:
- sanitary ware
- gas boiler LTHW heating and air conditioning
- passenger lifts
- fire, intruder and staff attack alarms, video/audio door entry systems, disabled refuge, induction loops, CCTV and data.
The £/m2 figures include preliminaries, at 16% of the remainder of the contract sum excluding contingencies, apportioned by cost.
The project was procured using the NEC3 target cost contract, with a construction period of 156 weeks.
Cost analyses are available as part of the BCIS Online service.